NYCFC 1, AD San Carlos 0 | Concacaf Champions League Match Recap
New York City FC cruised into the Concacaf Champions League quarterfinals, advancing 6-3 over AD San Carlos after beating the Costa Rican side, 1-0, at Red Bull Arena in the second leg Wednesday night.
NYCFC will face Liga MX side Tigres UANL in the quarterfinals after they scored a late winner through their goalkeeper to avoid one of the biggest upsets in CCL history.
After earlier heading an Alexandru Mitrita corner kick off San Carlos goalkeeper Patrick Pemberton and the post, Alexander Callens scored the lone goal of the second leg on another set piece in the 41st minute.
The Peruvian center back again latched onto Mitrita’s corner, but this time he beat Pemberton to the ball and headed inside the far post from just inside the six-yard box.
- 41’ — NYC — Alexander Callens | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The series was won in Costa Rica, so this felt like a glorified scrimmage, but NYCFC handled its business and became the second MLS team to reach the quarterfinals. And they did so without conceding or having anyone suspended for the first leg of the next round.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Callens hit the woodwork early in the first half, but this time he wouldn’t miss. It was a quality finish by the Peruvian and shocking goalkeeping by Pemberton.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Callens not only anchored a backline that recorded a clean sheet, but he also scored his second goal in as many games.
- NYC: Sunday, March 1 at Columbus Crew SC (12:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US, MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)
- ASC: Sunday, March 1 at Deportivo Saprissa (8 pm ET)